Friday, January 4, 2013

How does it feel to know one change could make all the difference, but you haven't made it yet?


I am encouraged to overcome it now that I know what it is.

However I also realize I don't feel ready for the change I say I want. I realize I probably could overcome the barrier in a month or less, but I don't feel physically ready to go through the stress of putting myself out there a lot.

I'm trying to think of what would be a positive outcome. I guess I realize that we need resources for people who are gifted but disabled, and perhaps I could start an anonymous blog for that, to help me figure out this balance. Regular career advice does not work for disabled people because we simply can't push as hard and we have to compensate for our disabilities and almost work twice as hard, especially on our images, if we have something unusual about us that others must tolerate.

I guess I want to inspire other gifted, disabled people to make the most of their lives.

I actually wrote a book from interviews with gifted disabled people and I should edit and publish it as an ebook.

I feel great about that, about turning my own search for how to have a good career with disabilities into a general resource for others about how to do this.

There are simply a LOT of gifted people with disabilities: Asperger's, CFS, autoimmune disease, injuries, etc. Maybe I could connect with them. I know that woman who did the standing pose research at HBS was gifted and had a head injury and came back after that. etc.

The biggest problem with this is that any time you venture into disability as a topic, the tone tends to become victimized and excuses-based, and honestly the communities are full of people who really can't work, so somehow I would have to keep this work-focused and in the work world rather than in the disabled world.

No comments:

Post a Comment